Name- Amrita Madan
B Arch – Diploma in Architecture, Sushant School of Art & Architecture (SSAA), Gurgaon, 1997
M Arch – CESP (Post-Graduate Certificate for Specialization in Landscape Architecture), Ecole Nationale Superieure du Paysage, Versailles, France, 2001
M Phil – DEA (Degree in Research equivalent to M.Phil.: Design Theories in Architecture and Urbanism), Ecole d’architecture de Paris-Belleville, University of Paris VIII, France, 2002
Prof Amrita Madan is a practicing architect (since 1997), an educator and researcher having a Master’s in Landscape Planning (2001) and an M.Phil. (Urban Theories) (2002), from France. She has a keen interest in the cross-over between fields of creative thinking in the making of space, experientiality and narrative-based design methodologies.
Prof Madan teaches Architectural Design since 2002, conducting undergraduate and postgraduate studios at the Sushant School of Art and Architecture, (SSAA) India. In her practice of over 15 years, at Atelier Anonyme Design (AAD) a multidisciplinary design firm, Amrita has worked as an exhibition designer for varied experiential design projects.
Over her vast teaching career, Prof Madan has developed studio pedagogic programs, structured course curricula, mentored faculty teams and fine-tuned innovative Design Studio teaching techniques. She has held academic positions of distinction in India and abroad, including that of Invited Professorships at the ENSP, Versailles and ENSAP, Lille, France.
She is currently involved in developing and testing SSAA FacTOR, a Programme for Architecture Faculty Training, Orientation and Research as well as the M.Arch (Interior Architecture) Programme at SSAA. Prof Madan has also recently helped in the development of a new approach to the design studios being taught at SSAA.
Research areas include Phenomenology, Narrative, Experiential Architecture, Museum and Memorial Architecture, Identity in Architecture, Strategies and Methodologies in Teaching of Design, Developing Design Tools for Facilitating the Creative Process, Strategic Design Models – User Intervention Strategies and Community Participation and the Role of Architects/ Design Professionals, Contemporary Explorations of Traditional Architectural and Building Systems, Retrofitting of Existing Environments, Gendered Representations of and in Space, Projects incorporating other creative arts / fields, Planning and Design of Transient and Impermanent Spaces, Experiential Exhibition, Installation and Pop-up design.
- “Experiential Narrative as a Tool for Space Making” – Amrita Madan and Sindhuree Iyengar, Veranda: Journal of Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Volume 1, Issue 1, 2019.
- “Visual Narrative And Interiority: Interior Thinking As A Macrocosm of Spatial Storytelling” – Amrita Madan and Nitish Jain, in process for presentation at the [in]arch International Conference 2018, The Stories of Interior: Multiple Perspectives of Interiority, 30-31 January 2018 at Universitas Indonesia.
- “A tale of … two bridges, two participates, two cities and two states, Bridges as landscapes of cultural and political identity” – Amrita Madan and Sindhuree Iyengar, presented at ICOMOS Conference “BRIDGE: The Heritage of Connecting Places and Cultures”, Ironbridge International Institute for Cultural Heritage, University of Birmingham, July 2017.
- “A Pedagogical Approach Towards the Future of Live Heritage Contexts, A Case of Shahjahanabad in the Second Year Design Studio” – Amrita Madan et all, Proceedings of Second International Conference on Design Pedagogy and Contextual Thinking (ICDPCT 2017), NIT Calicut & IIA Calicut Chapter, pp. 247-258, Jan 2017.
- “Inclusive Neutrality, an Urban Democracy and Landscape Planning Strategy to Reinvent Dharavi” – Amrita Madan and Priyanka Jain, Journal of Landscape Architecture, Volume 45, pp. 64-69, Sept 2015.
- “Contemporary Explorations of Traditional Material Systems: Wai, Maharashtra” – Madan A and Jain N. Context: Built, Living and Natural, volume XI, pp. 49-62, 2015.
- “Teaching History of Architecture” – Amrita Madan, in the QIP: Teaching of History in Architecture, SSAA, February 2005.
- “Development in the Context of Conservation: A Case of R.K. Puram, New Delhi” – Amrita Madan, Architecture + Design (A+D) – A Journal of Indian Architecture, Vol. XIV, No. 6, pp. 132-136, Nov-Dec 1997.
- “The Strategies of User Intervention in the Design Process of the Habitat in the Architectural Thinking of the 60’s and 70’s” [original in French] – Amrita Madan, D.E.A. (M.Phil.) thesis – Design Theories in Architecture and Urbanism, Ecole d’Architecture de Paris-Belleville, France, 2001-2002. Guides: Monique Eleb and Christian Moley.
FEATURED PROFESSIONAL ARTICLES
- Au-dela des norms? – Réinventer le bidonville de Dharavi” – D’Architectures (France), Issue 251, pp. 81-84, March 2017
- “Atelier Anonyme – a studio with no name” – Inside Outside, Issue 328, pp. 144-150, October 2012.
- “Sculpting Experiences” – Inside Outside, the Indian Design Magazine, Issue 291, pp. 46-48, September 2009.
- “Exhibition Design” – Home Review, Volume 8, Issue 8, 79-85, August 2009.
FEATURED IN BOOKS
- “Inclusive Neutrality” – Reinventing Dharavi, An Ideas Compendium, Urban Design Research Institute, 2017.
Awards and Achievements (including Scholarship)
- First Prize, MeraAgra competition organized by the Ministry of Tourism, Government of Uttar Pradesh, 2015
- Winner – Third prize, International Ideas Competition Reinventing Dharavi as a part of a larger multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team including Sabrina Hiridjee (Degree Zero and team), Adrien Defosse Horridge (Troisieme Paysage) and Priyanka Jain (3×3), 2014
- Finalist, Crea Design Awards 2012, Organized by Vibia, Barcelona.
- The DesignFirms TM Web Award May 2011
- Shortlisted, Display Category, Inside – WAF 2011
- Winner, Silver Ring, Exhibition Design, The Ring – iC@ward International Interior Design 2009 Awards, International Council of Interior Architects/Designers, Hong Kong, 2010
- Winner – North and East Zone, Retail Design, IIID-MK Awards for Excellence in Interior Design, 2008
- Commendation for IID MK Awards 08 – All India for Retail Interiors, Mumbai, 2008
- French Government Scholarship for research in Architecture and Urban Design in France, 2001 – 2002.
- French Government Scholarship for higher studies in Landscape Architecture in France, 2000 – 2001.
- N. Tata Scholarship for Higher Studies given by J.N. Tata Endowment Fund, 2000 – 2001.
- The SSAA Gold Medal, “in recognition of all round academic and extra-curricular performance in all the five years, 1992-1997”, Sushant School of Art & Architecture, Convocation on 26 November 1997.
- Honourable mention and cash prize in the Community Centre Design competition organised by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), New Delhi, May 1996.
- Year-wise academic excellence awards, Sushant School of Art & Architecture, 1992-1997.
- The Kothari Research and Design Foundation Fellowship, Sushant School of Art & Architecture, 1993-1996.
2018 Onwards Professor in Architecture, SSAA, Ansal University
2016 – 2018 Visiting Faculty for B.Arch and M.Arch Interior Architecture, SSAA, Ansal University
2014 – 2016 Professor in Architecture on Contract, SSAA, Ansal University
2009 – 2014 Visiting Faculty for B.Arch, Sushant School of Art and Architecture
2006 – 2006 Invited Professor, ENSP Versailles and ENSAP, Lille, France.
2002 – 2008 Lecturer in Architecture, Sushant School of Art and Architecture
2005 Onwards Founding Partner and Principal Architect, Atelier Anonyme Design
2003 – 2005 Partner, AR Architects, New Delhi.
1997 – 2000 Architect with K.T. Ravindran Architects Urban Designer, New Delhi.
1999 – 2000 Local Architect with French Landscape Architect, Ms. Françoise Crémel.
1999 – 2000 Architect with Ranjan and Ruchi Gupta Architects, New Delhi.
1997 Undergraduate Apprenticeship, K.T. Ravindran Architects Urban Designer, New Delhi